Sunday 4 March 2012

MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

First off, can I just say how much I love this packaging?! The lid is black with green and purple glitter in it, so pretty! Okay, on to the actual product... This is MAC's translucent (or transparent) finishing powder. I'd heard a lot about this product on YouTube and Blogger, so thought I'd give it a go. The artist who helped me in the MAC store said it was one of their best selling powders and that she, as well as other girls in the store, couldn't live without it.


I was advised to use this powder with a kabuki brush, and to start at the top of my face so that any product that dropped could be swept away as I moved further down the face. I was really excited to try it out, so got up pretty early the next day - you know when you're really excited to do your makeup and get up at stupid o'clock? I have to say I was quite disappointed. Described by MAC as 'A silky finishing powder that provides an invisible way to set makeup. Reduces shine while optically minimizing the look of pores, likes and imperfections', I felt it didn't achieve any of these claims. As for keeping shine at bay, this product didn't do much. I don't have particularly oily skin, but this powder did nothing to 'reduce shine' on my face. I also felt that my pores looked the same as they did before I applied the powder, which is really disappointing for a product which costs £18.50.




As for setting my makeup, I can't honestly say that this product is anything fantastic. I use Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation after hearing so much about it, and I really like it, but find that is has the same staying powder with or without the use of MAC's finishing powder. I will be continuing to use this product on thr rare occasion for the simple reason that I want to use it up! I feel like it was such a waste of money and I'm really disappointed with it.



I hate writing such negative reviews but I don't want to lie about a product that I feel didn't live up to expectations! Have you tried this powder? What did you think?

Evie x

8 comments:

  1. I've tried this powder before and I like how silky it was and did actually feel my make up looked set and less shiny. I don't think it made it last any longer than using my Bare Minerals over the top though. I want the Chanel loose powder but for £30 I just don't think I can justify it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so sad! I'd only heard/read a couple of negative reviews and comparing that to the amount of people who love this product I thought I'd be okay! Such a shame how the same product can be so different on people's skin!xo

      Delete
  2. Hmmm I never heard/tried this powder but the packaging looks so sleek! I am not a big powder person so maybe I won't feel that sad :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The packaging is amazing! Haha maybe not, you should give it a go though, it might work for you!xo

      Delete
  3. Great review I found all the same things and also lots of the product was lost when opening the packaging :( I hope you will follow my blog :)

    leopardinleather.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah it's annoying, quite hard to get the right amount on the brush!xo

      Delete
  4. It's always annoying spending quite a bit on something that doesn't agree with you :( Thanks for sharing and nice blog!

    lippyinlondon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! Hate writing negative reviews but I wanted to be honest, it's a shame that it didn't work for me xo

      Delete